IHI Lucian Leape Institute
Providing a Strategic Vision for Improving Patient Safety
The IHI Lucian Leape Institute (LLI) was formed in 2007 by the National Patient Safety Foundation (NPSF, which merged with IHI in 2017) to provide a strategic vision for improving patient safety. Composed of international thought leaders with a common interest in patient safety, the LLI functions as a think tank to identify new approaches to improving patient safety; call for the innovation necessary to expedite the work; create significant, sustainable improvements in culture, process, and outcomes; and encourage key stakeholders to assume significant roles in advancing patient safety.
The LLI is named for Lucian Leape, MD, who served as the founding chairman and remains an active member. Dr. Leape was a member of the Institute of Medicine’s Quality of Health Care in America Committee, which published the seminal works in the patient safety movement, To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System (2000) and Crossing the Quality Chasm (2001).
The Lucian Leape Institute (LLI) strives for a world where patients and those who care for them are free from harm. The Lucian Leape Institute partners with key health care, non-health care, and community stakeholders to develop innovative ideas and bold recommendations for widespread improvement. The LLI's work is freely available and openly accessible to promote transparency, equity, and dynamic change.
As a think tank, the Lucian Leape Institute identifies new approaches to improving patient safety, calls for the innovation required to expedite the work, creates significant, sustainable improvements in culture, process, and outcomes, and encourages key stakeholders to assume roles in advancing patient safety.
Patient and workforce safety are at the core of IHI and the Lucian Leape Institute's efforts. The Lucian Leape Institute focuses on the following as fundamental aspects of this work:
- Collaboration and partnership with patients, families, health care colleagues, and experts in all industries.
- Innovative ideas and bold recommendations that push boundaries and inspire widespread improvement in the field of patient safety.
- Free and open access to all work and publications in an effort to promote transparency, equity, and dynamic change.
- Commitment of service to patients, families, and those who devote their lives to providing care.
- Proactive system thinking and continuous improvement to develop health care into a highly reliable industry.
- Leadership and organizational culture as key drivers of patient and workforce safety.
- Uniting expertise in safety, quality, and beyond to develop timely and sustainable solutions to patient and workforce safety obstacles.
- The importance of education of all stakeholders in safety science, culture, and leadership principles.
- Content and recommendations that can be used to create tactical and actionable next steps for health care organizations.
Reports and Related Publications
Members of the IHI Lucian Leape Institute
IHI Patient Safety Congress
The IHI Patient Safety Congress on May 14–16, 2024, is the must-attend conference for those who continue to shape smarter, safer, more equitable care for patients wherever it’s provided — from the hospital and outpatient settings to the home.Learn More