IHI Redesigning Event Review with Root Cause Analyses and Actions (RCA2)
Redesigning Event Review with Root Cause Analyses and Actions (RCA2)
When accidents occur in health care, providers and health systems have an urgent responsibility to respond to prevent future harm.
In this online course, you'll learn to improve your event review process with a unique approach — endorsed by leaders in patient safety across the United States and abroad — that expands upon traditional root cause analysis.
Moving swiftly after a safety incident occurs, you'll learn to establish a small team to conduct interviews, develop a flowchart, and pinpoint vulnerabilities in your system: poor equipment design, inadequate training, or insufficient resources.
Most importantly, by the end of the course, you'll gain tools and strategies to address these vulnerabilities with sustainable actions that really work to prevent future harm. This is the focus of Root Cause Analyses and Actions — or RCA2.
The Redesigning Event Review with RCA2 online course with coaching begins March 12, 2024. Below are key dates when IHI will release each video lesson (Tuesdays) and group calls will take place (Tuesdays).
Independent Learning Schedule
Online modules will be released throughout the course that consist of reading, video lectures, discussion prompts, and assignments for you to complete on your own time. Each lesson is released on Tuesday according to the schedule below.
Lesson 1: Identifying and Classifying Events for Review
Lesson 2: Determining the Team and Engaging the Patient.
Lesson 3: Finding and Mapping the Facts
Lesson 4: Causal Statements to Facilitate Action
Lesson 5: Actions to Build Safer Systems
All-Learner Call Schedule
All-Learner Calls are live, town-hall style calls led by course faculty. Each call is recorded.
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM ET All-Learner Call 1
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM ET All-Learner Call 2
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM ET All-Learner Call 3
In support of improving patient care, the Institute for Healthcare Improvement is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the health care team.
Continuing education credits for the spring 2023 RCA2 program are still being finalized and will be updated shortly.
The fall 2023 RCA2 program is approved for a maximum of 8 credits for physicians, nurses and the Certified Professionals in Patient Safety (CPPS) recertification.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement designates this blended learning activity for a maximum of 8 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. This activity may also be applicable for other professions that accept AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
After attending this course, attendees will be able to:
- Define an improved event review process with a unique approach that expands upon traditional root cause analysis.
- Identify how to form a multidisciplinary team to collect data and evaluate current state.
- Apply evidence-based tools and techniques to address vulnerabilities with sustainable actions to prevent future harm.
In order to be eligible for a continuing education certificate, attendees must complete the online evaluation within 30 days of the continuing education activity. After this period, you will be unable to receive a certificate.
Continuing education credits will not be awarded for non-educational activities, including (and not limited to) meals, breaks and receptions.
To view continuing education (CE) credits and session materials:
- Click on the "My IHI" link on the top of this page
- Once you are logged in, click on the "Credits" tab to see CE information.
- Click on the "My Participation" tab and then the button that says "My Materials" to see course materials.
Fees & Scholarships
Fee: $549 per person
Includes self-paced online content, three live All-Learner Calls, social learning with your peers, and access to one-on-one coaching with expert faculty.
IHI is pleased to offer a limited number of free, 15%, 25%, and 50% scholarships to assist with program registration costs for those working in:
- Independent, United States Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) that are not affiliated with a hospital or health system
- Critical Access Hospitals
- Independent practices with fewer than 20 physicians
- Hospitals with fewer than 50 beds
- Members of America's Essential Hospitals
- 501(c)(3) organization with a defined operating budget of less than $5 million, serving community-based populations
- Ministries of Health
- Faith-based health institutions
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
To apply for a scholarship, please complete the online Scholarship Application. Scholarship applications are due by January 29, 2024. Scholarship decisions will be announced on February 16, 2024.
All Scholarships are reviewed on an individual basis. If multiple individuals from the same organization wish to apply for a scholarship, each individual must submit an application. Group discounts are also available, see information above.
To ensure equal distribution of funds, all scholarships applications are reviewed using the same scoring criteria. All awarded amounts are final.
Cancellations, Substitutions, and Refunds
- Payments: Full payment is due at the time of registration.
- Credit card payments: Enter your credit card information online during the registration process, or call the IHI Customer Experience Department to process payment over the phone.
- Check payments: If you need to make a payment by check, please call the IHI Customer Experience Department.
- Cancellations: For cancellations made within one day before the start of the program: Registration fees are fully refundable if a written request is received by email@example.com on or before one day before the start of the program.
- Refunds: IHI will issue all refunds in the original payment type (credit card or check) within 30 days. Registrations received one day before the start of the program are not refundable.
- Substitutions: One attendee may be substituted for another at any time by calling the IHI Customer Experience Department or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Guarantee to You
If for any reason you are not completely satisfied that your attendance in an IHI educational program is a valuable experience, IHI will gladly refund your registration fee per the policies noted above. Please note that due to unforeseeable circumstances, last-minute changes in program titles, speakers, or presentations may be unavoidable.
- Click on the Register button to login or create an account.
- Visit the IHI Education Platform to view program details and complete your registration for the training.
- Invoices can be found and paid through your My Account section.