An epidemic of burnout among health care professionals is affecting quality, safety, and health care system performance. To help reverse the worrying trend, the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) partnered with experts around the world to develop Creating Workforce Joy and Well-Being (formerly, Finding and Creating Joy in Work), beginning September 13, 2023. This online course with coaching is full of new thinking, resources, strategies,
frameworks, and solutions that will help workforces truly thrive — not just survive.
The learning format of this online course includes six weeks of biweekly video content, three all-learner calls, and an opportunity for added coaching. The course will share proven quality improvement (QI) methods to create a positive work environment that fosters camaraderie, meaning, choice, and equity, and ensures the commitment to delivering high-quality care, even in stressful times.
Start Improving Staff Well-Being Today
It's clear that leaders and care teams are often challenged to find a way to move from their current state
— too often, widespread burnout — to “joy in work” and well-being. Jessica Perlo, MPH, a Senior Director at IHI,
shares four steps you can take now to help your staff find joy and meaning in their work. Jessica is a co-author of IHI’s white paper, IHI Framework for Improving Joy in Work. Download the White Paper here.
What You Will Learn
After completing this online course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the value of increasing joy in work and well-being at your organization
- Discuss key leadership behaviors that raise staff engagement and improve joy
- Discuss joy in work with staff using a "what matters to you" framing
- Identify how behaviors that increase joy in work improve patient safety and other outcomes
Identify and test at least two changes in your organization that will lead to greater joy in work and well-being
Identify at least two measures you can use to determine if joy in work and well-being are increasing at your organization
Learn more about
key course dates.
Who Should Attend
using QI methods to
foster joy in work and well-being, including:
This online course is open to participants in any health care discipline who are interested in
- Clinicians and their care teams
- Anyone responsible for organizational outcomes in quality, safety, patient experience, staff satisfaction, and financial results