Age-Friendly System-Wide Spread Collaborative
18-Month Collaborative Begins April 2024
IHI is excited to announce the Age-Friendly System-Wide Spread Collaborative, which will be the learning and action community for 20 US health systems interested in fully embedding the 4Ms system-wide, to have an equitable impact on older adults across all of their sites and settings of care.
The Collaborative will convene a cohort of 20 teams from health systems with sites of care recognized as Committed to Care Excellence to accelerate system-wide adoption of the 4Ms, with guidance from expert faculty and an “all-teach, all-learn” approach. Collaborative participants will have the opportunity to be among the first to achieve an ambitious new IHI recognition for system-wide spread of age-friendly care.
During the 18-month Collaborative, health systems will test changes to ensure that the 4Ms Framework of an Age-Friendly Health System is implemented equitably as a standard practice to ensure optimal health care for all older adults across the health system. Participating teams will analyze shared data to advance quality improvement goals that align with the IHI change package for scaling the 4Ms system-wide. Participating teams will document and demonstrate the alignment of current health system priorities and programs with the 4Ms Framework, and apply a data-driven, shared learning approach to review progress against an established aim to scale age-friendly care delivery and act on the 4Ms system-wide.
Application to the Collaborative is open to US health systems, hospitals, ambulatory care practices, convenient care clinics, and nursing homes that have:
- Committed to achieving equitable, system-wide adoption of the 4Ms Framework of an Age-Friendly Health System
- At least two sites that have achieved Committed to Care Excellence recognition by the start of the Collaborative
- Engaged leadership as evidenced by a signed letter from a senior leader indicating support for participation
- A system lead and associated team designated to participate in the Collaborative and spread the 4Ms Framework
The Collaborative application process begins December 15, 2023.
- December 15, 2023: IHI sends Collaborative application invitations to health systems
- February 2, 2024: Collaborative applications due
- March 1, 2024: IHI selects and notifies 20 health systems to participate in the Collaborative
- March 1, 2024–April 15, 2024: Pre-work, including a kick-off meeting
- April 24, 2024: The 18-month Collaborative begins with an in-person Learning Session in Boston, MA
- September 30, 2025: Collaborative concludes
For the in-person Learning Sessions (April 2024, October 2024, and April 2025), each team will designate one to two travel team representatives.
- Download the Collaborative Prospectus to learn more about participation criteria, enrollment fees, activities, how to apply, and other important information
- Watch a recording of the January 2024 informational session and download the accompanying slides
- Download the Collaborative Prospectus
- Download a PDF of the enrollment application*
[*Note: The PDF is for reference as organizations prepare their responses for the enrollment application. Please input final responses into the online enrollment application.]
- Complete the online enrollment application (for a paper version, please email email@example.com)
- Download the template for senior leader support letter
For questions or further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join Friends of Age-Friendly Health Systems
Receive updates on the Age-Friendly Health Systems movement, invites to quarterly webinars, access to experts, support on the 4Ms Framework, and more.Join the Community