View the slides"improvement coaches need to embrace the human side of change."
A 12-week experiential program for those already familiar with improvement to further develop your improvement knowledge and skill so you can coach and facilitate improvement teams as well as support the implementation of improvement strategies within your organization.
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s (IHI’s) Improvement Coach Professional Development Program is a 12-week journey to further develop your improvement knowledge and skill so you can coach and facilitate improvement teams as well as support the implementation of improvement strategies throughout your organization. The expectation is that you will not necessarily change your current role and become a full-time improvement professional. Rather, this course will build your knowledge and skills in the application of the science of improvement that will, in turn, complement your specific area of specialization.
You will organize your learning in this program around a specific team and the improvement project this team is pursuing. The team’s project and application of the coaching methods to its work are central to the program. Therefore, each participant must have an improvement team to coach and the team must have a project, new or already underway, in order to participate.
This program is designed to help you:
- Understand the science of improvement and use the Model for Improvement as a roadmap for improvement projects
- Coach improvement teams on how to develop, test, and implement changes including identifying high-leverage change ideas and testing them using PDSA cycles
- Become skilled in how to use data for improvement, including how to use run charts, and other key quality improvement tools
- Build skills in team facilitation, communication, decision making, and understanding team culture
- Apply just-in-time teaching of improvement skills to team members in order to advance the team’s work
- Leave with a specific plan for how you will continuing coaching your team and prepare yourself to coach subsequent teams
- Learn concepts of implementation, sustainability, and scale-up
PROGRAM DESIGN AND SCHEDULE
Over 12 weeks:
|Getting Started virtual workshop
||May 25, 2017
||12 PM–1:30 PM ET|
||June 7–9, 2017
||8 AM–5 PM ET|
|Three 3-hour virtual workshops
||June 22, June 28, and July 6, 2017
||12 PM–3 PM ET|
||July 18–20, 2017
||8 AM–5 PM ET|
|Final virtual workshop
||August 10, 2017
||12–1:30 PM ET|
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Consider enrolling for this program if you have a foundation in quality improvement concepts, methods, and tools, but you need more specific, formal training in coaching and facilitating improvement teams in order to:
- Coach staff and employees in how to apply improvement concepts, methods, and tools to daily work
- Help teams gather ideas and carry out an improvement project
- Help coach and advise people to development measures and analyze data for a project
- Understand the working and communication styles within a team to be more effective
- Run more effective meetings
This program is ideal for people who will be actively supporting improvement teams on a day-to-day basis (e.g., 25-50 percent of their time is dedicated to support teams as an improvement coach).
- Previous experience with an improvement team (e.g., participated on an improvement team)
- Prior improvement knowledge required (e.g., IHI Open School QI courses, SOI, ISIA, or an equivalent level of learning from other organizations (e.g., ASQ, NQF, or a university-based QI program))
- Requires participants to have an improvement team where they will perform the role of improvement coach