The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), an independent not-for-profit organization based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is a leading innovator, convener, partner, and driver of results in health and health care improvement worldwide. At our core, we believe everyone should get the best care and health possible. This passionate belief fuels our mission to improve health and health care.
For more than 25 years, we have partnered with visionaries, leaders, and front-line practitioners around the globe to spark bold, inventive ways to improve the health of individuals and populations. To advance our mission, IHI's work is focused in five key areas:
- Improvement Capability: Ensuring that improvement science drives our work and that we extend the reach and impact of the improvement community
- Person- and Family-Centered Care: Putting the patient and the family at the heart of every decision and empowering them to be genuine partners in their care
- Patient Safety: Making care continually safer by reducing harm and preventable mortality
- Quality, Cost, and Value: Driving affordability and sustainability through quality improvement
- Triple Aim for Populations: Applying integrated approaches to simultaneously improve care, improve population health, and reduce costs per capita
We create dynamic opportunities for health care professionals to learn from, collaborate with, and be inspired by expert faculty and colleagues throughout the world. Our professional development programs — including conferences, seminars, and audio and web-based programs — inform every level of the workforce, from executive leaders to front-line staff. The IHI Open School is committed to developing students, the next generation of improvers, through free online courses and an international network of chapters. For all who join us in improving health care, we provide a wealth of free content through our website, ihi.org and our audio program, WIHI.
IHI also works with a wide range of entities — whether health care facilities, entire health care systems, or governments — to help them achieve significant results in quality, safety, and innovation. We collaborate with these change agents on the front lines of care to accelerate improvement in vital areas, including maternal and neonatal health, end-of-life care, avoidable hospital readmissions, waste and cost reduction, person- and family-centered care, and the spread of the Triple Aim.
When it comes to raising the quality of health for all, IHI sees boundless possibilities; while we see the walls in front of us, we will not rest until we reach the other side.
Learn More about IHI