IHI Breakthrough Series College
Breakthrough Series College
What Is the Breakthrough Series College?
|By March 6||Approximately 2.5 hours||Self-directed|
|Wednesday, March 6||12:00pm – 4:00pm EST||Live-Virtual|
|Wednesday, March 13||12:00pm – 4:00pm EDT||Live-Virtual|
|Wednesday, March 20||12:00pm – 4:00pm EDT||Live-Virtual|
|Wednesday, March 27||1:00pm – 2:00 pm EDT||Office Hours|
|By March 28||Approximately 2 hours||Self-directed|
|Weeks of March 25 & April 1||Various slots available||Coaching|
|Wednesday, April 3||8:00am – 5:00pm EDT||In-person (Boston)|
|Thursday, April 4||8:00am – 4:00pm EDT||In-person (Boston)|
|Tuesday, April 9||12:00pm – 1:00 pm EDT||Office Hours|
|By April 15||Approximately 1 hour||Self-Directed|
|Wednesday April 17||1:00pm – 5:00pm EDT||Live-Virtual|
The agenda for the March 2024 offering is available to download:
In support of improving patient care, the Institute for Healthcare Improvement is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the health care team.
Continuing education credits for this program are still being finalized and will be updated shortly.
As a result of this program, attendees will be able to:
- Operate a successful Collaborative improvement project
- Increase their ability to teach and use the Model for Improvement, an improvement strategy used in the Breakthrough Series
In order to be eligible for a continuing education certificate, attendees must complete the online evaluation within 30 days of the continuing education activity. After this period, you will be unable to receive a certificate.
Continuing education credits will not be awarded for non-educational activities, including (but not limited to) meals, breaks, and receptions.
If you are registered for this program and would like to access the available materials, please follow these steps:
- Click “My IHI” at the top of this page and log in.
- Once you’re logged in, click on “My Participation" tab and then the button that says "My Materials".
- Click on the "My Materials" button to access handouts and other documents that will be used in this program.
IHI may, at its discretion, cancel, postpone, or otherwise modify in-person programs at any time, with or without notice. If IHI does so and as a result, a registrant is unable to participate in the program, IHI will refund the registration fee. The registrant, however, will remain responsible for other costs (such as travel and lodging) the registrant incurs in connection with the program, and IHI will not refund the registrant, nor otherwise be responsible for, such costs. Registrants should proceed accordingly and consider travel/lodging cancellation policies — as well as purchasing travel insurance — when incurring such costs. IHI asks registrants to take into consideration the currently evolving situation and advisories related to COVID-19 before incurring travel, lodging, and other costs related to this event.
Regular Rate: $4,995 USD per person
Group Rate: $4,246 USD per person (groups of three or more save 15%)
PLEASE NOTE: Rates do not vary by location. We encourage (but do not require) organizations to send at least two people to this program because there are two tracks within the program: one dedicated to training future Improvement Advisors and one for training future Directors. Participants have the option to select their track, and we've heard from past attendees that having two representatives at this program has helped immensely upon return to their home organization.
IHI is pleased to offer a limited number of 15%, 25%, and 50% scholarships to assist with program registration costs for those working in:
- Independent, United States Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) that are not affiliated with a hospital or health system
- Critical Access Hospitals
- Independent practices with fewer than 20 physicians
- Hospitals with fewer than 50 beds
- Members of America's Essential Hospitals
- 501(c)(3) organization with a defined operating budget of less than $5 million, serving community-based populations
- Ministries of Health
- Faith-based health institutions
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
Please complete the online Scholarship Application by January 19, 2024, to apply for a scholarship. IHI will notify all applicants of their scholarship status by February 9, 2024.
All Scholarships are reviewed on an individual basis. If multiple individuals from the same organization wish to apply for a scholarship, each individual must submit an application. Group discounts are also available. See the information above.
To ensure equal distribution of funds, all scholarship applications are reviewed using the same scoring criteria. All awarded amounts are final.
Please note, scholarships are available for program registration costs only, and do not cover travel, food, or accommodation costs associated with attending a program.
Group Rate: $4,246 USD per person
Organizations sending three or more people are eligible to receive a 15% Group Discount. To register a group, fill out the Group Registration form.
- If you are eligible for a discount — because you qualify for a membership discount or have received a need-based scholarship — it will be automatically applied to your registration.
- After checkout, you will receive a confirmation of purchase. You can also print an invoice from your online profile 24 hours after your purchase.
GSA Pricing For US Government
IHI offers GSA pricing for US government employees to enroll in this educational program. For more information and pricing, see IHI's GSA schedule.
Cancellations, Refunds, Substitutions
Registration Fee of $2,950 or more
- Payments: Full payment is due 60 days before the start of the program. If payment in full is not received within 60 days prior to the program start date, IHI will notify you and cancel your registration.
- Credit card payments: Enter your credit card information online during the registration process, or call the IHI Customer Experience Department to process payment over the phone.
- Check payments: Please mail a copy of the invoice with your check made payable to IHI.
- Cancelations: For cancelations made within 45 days before the start of a program: Registration fees are fully refundable if a written request is received by firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 45 days before the start of the program.
- Refunds: IHI will issue all refunds in the original payment type (credit card or check) within 30 days. Registrations received after 45 days or less before the start of the program are not refundable.
- Substitutions: One attendee may be substituted for another at any time by calling the IHI Customer Experience Department or emailing email@example.com.
Our Guarantee to You
If for any reason you are not completely satisfied that your attendance in an IHI educational program is a valuable experience, IHI will gladly refund your registration fee per the policies noted above. Please note that due to unforeseeable circumstances, last-minute changes in program titles, speakers, or presentations may be unavoidable.