Institute for Healthcare Improvement (in collaboration with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation)
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
How to cite this document:
Lee B, Peck C, Rutherford P, Shannon D. Transforming Care at the Bedside How-to Guide: Developing Front-Line Nursing Managers to Lead Innovation and Improvement
. Cambridge, MA: Institute for Healthcare Improvement; 2008. Available at www.IHI.org
Launched in 2003, Transforming Care at the Bedside (TCAB) is a national program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI).
The "Vitality and Teamwork" theme in TCAB includes a transformative shift in the attitudes and engagement of nurses and other staff on TCAB units, and aims to recapture true “joy in work” as well as enhanced teamwork, engagement, and commitment amongst the multidisciplinary team. This How-to Guide describes innovative changes focused improving the ability of managers to support transformational change, including strategies for manager self-assessment and development, and a four-pronged strategy for developing transformational leadership skills:
- Use a talent management framework;
- Provide access to formalized nursing leadership development programs;
- Develop leaders’ emotional intelligence; and
- Foster effective succession planning.
This How-to Guide is divided into three sections:
- Section One provides the background and rationale for why it is so important to develop new types of skills and competencies for nurse leaders during periods of rapid change in health care. Lessons from other industries and the business literature provide a framework for the changes tested in the TCAB hospitals.
- Section Two outlines key talent management steps to assist front-line managers with self-assessment, planning developmental opportunities, and the importance of enhancing emotional intelligence among nursing leaders.
- Section Three includes case studies from two TCAB organizations.