Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The medication reconciliation initiative at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, called MATCH, included development of a toolkit to help hospital and outpatient practice staff:
- Make the case for prioritizing medication reconciliation as a patient safety program at the organization
- Define the problem by outlining successful practices and identifying current deficiencies within the organization or practice setting
- Develop a new or redesign an existing medication reconciliation process that will meet patient safety goals and can be integrated into staff’s workflow
- Test and implement the new or enhanced medication reconciliation process throughout the organization or within the practice setting
- Assess and evaluate the process post-implementation to achieve sustainable results
- Inform and involve patients, families, and caregivers in the medication reconciliation process
Use the materials in the toolkit as guidance for developing a medication reconciliation process in your own setting.
Through the support of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and collaboration between Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and The Joint Commission, the medication reconciliation initiative, MATCH, was developed.