These measures were developed as part of IHI's Learning and Innovation Community on Operational and Clinical Improvement in the Emergency Department. They are useful for organizations who are improving clinical and operational flow in the emergency department.
The measurement strategy provides sampling ideas on how to collect data for the three types of measures.
1. Operational Measures:
- Total Length of Stay
- Length of Stay for Admitted Patients
- Length of State for Emergency Department Patients
- Length of Stay for Fast Track
- ED Diversions
2. Clinical Measures:
- Acute Myocardial Infarction
- Community-Acquired Pneumonia
- Pain Management
3. Other Measures:
- Patient Satisfaction
- Custom Measures (created on a team-by-team basis)