Use Self-Management Tools That Are Based on Evidence of Effectiveness
Improving Chronic Care: Self-Management Support
- Identify high-quality patient education materials.
- Review materials for reading level and cultural appropriateness. Determine if different versions — languages, literacy levels — are necessary to serve patients.
- Review materials with the care team.
- Test materials with a few patients and revise as necessary.
- Make materials available to patients, families, and providers by placing them in examining rooms and waiting rooms.
- Share materials with pharmacies, faith-based organizations, and community groups.
- Be selective and keep materials brief. Include materials with larger print.
- Work with lay health workers/promotoras in the community to select and review materials.
- Remove outdated educational materials from the clinic.
- Coordinate patient education with the organization's care guidelines.