Use Group Visits to Support Self-Management for People with Chronic Conditions
Improving Chronic Care: Self-Management Support
- Identify the type of group visit (support group, educational group, etc.).
- Identify a group to focus on (e.g., Hispanic population, homeless, newly diagnosed).
- Identify and train the facilitator.
- Take care of logistics (space, staffing needs, billing requirements).
- Publicize group visits through an appropriate communication channel.
- Assess cultural/ethnic needs and identify appropriate methods/materials for patient education.
- Don't confuse this type of group with a group visit that includes the physician and medical care (described in Delivery System Design).
- Let the group determine the content of sessions. Leaders can monitor the content to assure that critical information is covered.
- Contact health centers that have been conducting group visits for "lesson learned" about logistics of scheduling, rooms, etc.
- Make reminder calls.
- Provide a meal.
- Use lay leaders.
- Anticipate patient's need for transportation and child care.