Safety briefings in patient care units are tools to increase safety awareness among front-line staff and foster a culture of safety. Based on concepts in aviation and other industries, briefings make safety-consciousness part of the routine, 24 hours a day and seven days a week. Safety briefings should be designed so staff members can conduct them without participation or guidance from the management.
- Reinforce the non-punitive aspect of the discussion repeatedly, especially during the first few briefings.
- Keep the briefings short.
- Adjust the frequency and time of day if the staff asks you to.
- Collect detailed information about issues raised by staff.
- Institute weekly Patient Safety Leadership WalkRounds™ as well as the regular staff safety briefings for best results.