May 29, 2020
- Donald M. Berwick, MD, MPP, FRCP, President Emeritus and Senior Fellow, Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI)
- Derek Feeley, President and CEO, IHI
- Michelle James, BSB, RN, CCRN, MM, MBA, CENP, Executive Director of the Providence Nursing Institute at Providence Health & Services
- Anthony Petrick, MD, Chief Quality Officer, Inpatient Services, Geisinger Clinic; Director, Division of Bariatric and Foregut Surgery, Geisinger Health System; Fellowship Director, Bariatric and GI Surgery, Geisinger Medical Center
- Moderated by:
Madge Kaplan, Director of Communications, IHI
Although there is pressure to restore health care revenue streams as quickly as possible to make up for financial losses incurred during the pandemic, cautious approaches to bringing non-COVID-19 patients into health care facilities are critical. Some hospital leaders view reopening health care, especially surgical procedures, as an unprecedented opportunity to do things even better than before.
This Virtual Learning Hour discusses the immediate priorities for resuming health care services, including:
- Ensure testing for all patients and staff
- Determine which surgeries and procedures can be performed safely
- Reorient and support clinicians and staff who haven't worked together for months
- Secure supplies and personal protective equipment (PPE) for staff and patients
- Learn from and continuously improve initial plans
- Implement additional safety precautions
Listeners also have the opportunity to share their questions, struggles, and bright spots they are seeing in this unprecedented time.