IHI engages deeply with a small number of large organizations in the US and other countries to build improvement capability across entire systems and attain system-wide improvement in key areas.
IHI Strategic Partners are organizations that share IHI’s vision and mission to improve the quality of health care. IHI works with these organizations because together we have the opportunity to improve care in innovative ways for many patients. IHI shares the latest innovations with our partners and harvests new ideas, which are then shared with the world. Our partners are part of a community that meets and works together to advance the improvement of health care worldwide.
Organizations that have partnered with IHI include Catholic Health Partners, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Contra Costa Health Services, Counties Manukau District Health Board in New Zealand, County Council of Jonkoping Sweden, Danish Society for Patient Safety, Healthcare Improvement Scotland, Indian Health Service, Kaiser Permanente, NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement, NHS South West, North Shore‒Long Island Jewish Health System, and Premier, Inc.
At the outset of the Strategic Partnership, IHI works collaboratively with an organization to assess the readiness of senior leaders to engage and the ability of the organization to successfully adopt improvement capacity.
Together, we articulate a set of aims and results-focused activities over a multi-year period. Work is supported by senior IHI faculty, improvement experts, and staff.
Areas of focus typically include:
- Strategic planning and establishing “big dot” system aims, such as the reduction of mortality, the elimination of harm, or improving financial sustainability through quality and reliability
- Results-oriented initiatives such as system-wide improvements in safety and reliability, or population-focused initiatives such as better care for the chronically ill
- Assistance with large-scale improvement, including strategies for spread and sustainability
- Building improvement capability among senior leaders and staff, creating a “culture of quality”
- Joint research and development initiatives and first access to the results of IHI’s other research and development projects
- Twice-yearly formal learning and networking opportunities among the Strategic Partners and with leading organizations inside and outside health care
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a IHI Strategic Partner, please contact Frank Federico
, Executive Director, Strategic Partners.