The IHI Fellowship Program is a year-long immersion program for mid-career health professionals. The program has two overarching goals, to:
- Develop health care leaders with the drive, skills, and experience to spread improvement in the United States and globally; and
- Build capability within health care organizations to reach dramatically higher levels of performance.
Fellows spend one year at IHI’s office in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and return to their home organization to lead transformative change.
Elements of the Fellowship
Competencies Acquired During the Fellowship Program
- Model for Improvement and improvement science;
- Reliability science;
- Communication and teamwork;
- Project management;
- Critical analysis tools;
- Person- and family-centered care;
- Business case for quality;
- Regional solutions to optimizing population health, patient experience and outcomes of care, and cost of care;
- Public speaking and advocacy; and
- Preparing proposals, policy briefs, and manuscripts.