Learn from the Success of Others
Designed for a team or individuals who are tasked with hospital operations, throughput, and ensuring optimal patient flow in the acute care hospital, this intensive IHI program helps participants:
- Make sense of the variety of hospital-wide strategies and approaches needed to deliver the right care, in the right place, at the right time
- Assess the current state of patient flow and identify major opportunities for improvement
- Implement actionable strategies, skills, and data analytics that help ensure that hospital capacity can meet the demands for hospital services — daily, weekly, and seasonally — to:
- Prevent diversions and overcrowding in EDs
- Eliminate waits and delays for surgical procedures, treatments, and admissions to inpatient beds
- Redesign surgical scheduling to improve throughout and to improve patient flow to intensive care units (ICUs) and inpatient units
- Reduce the need for regular surge plans and excessive overtime
- Increase the number of patients admitted to the appropriate inpatient unit, based on a patient’s clinical condition
- Utilize case management strategies to reduce the length of stay for "outliers"
- Decrease inpatient volume by implementing proactive palliative care programs and strategies to reduce readmissions
- Calculate the return on investment
- Leverage opportunities to collaborate with expert faculty and successful hospital leaders to develop or refine a detailed, customized plan
To deliver high standards of safe, person-centered care, it is critical to provide the right care, in the right place, at the right time. Take action now to address growing issues around patient flow — and realize the value across your organization.