- Does your board know what it will take to deliver value, not just volume, in a reform-driven world?
- Is your board overwhelmed by quality data and unable to determine what to do with it?
- How can your board more effectively engage with physicians in your quality and safety agenda?
- How will your board handle a sentinel event?
- Can we link quality, safety, satisfaction, and cost issues into a common strategic and operating plan? If so, where and how do we start?
- How can your board of directors have the largest impact on improving both financial and quality performance? Are there organizations that have done this successfully? What did they do and how long does it take?
To achieve system-level performance improvement, hospitals and systems must have capable, committed leadership in both the executive office and the board room.
Meaningful and sustainable quality improvement cannot occur in any organization without the full support and engagement of the organization’s trustees. Yet, many boards are not comfortable taking responsibility for quality of care. Even those that are focused on quality need practical guidance in how to lead their organization’s quality agenda.
To help address this need, IHI is pleased to offer From the Top: The Role of the Board in Quality and Safety. Led by national experts in governance and quality, this program has helped the 2,500+ alumni of this program improve the capability of their organization's board to oversee quality and safety endeavors. Participants will be equipped with the practical tools and skills to take responsibility for the quality performance of the organization. Participants will learn how to:
- Renew and sustain their board’s engagement and commitment to quality and safety
- Improve their board’s ability to oversee quality and safety
- Effectively integrate quality into the routine board agenda