Trevor Torres, Student, Patient, “Diabetes Evangelist”
Have trouble viewing this video? Read the transcript.
Learning Objectives: At the end of this activity, you will be able to:
Description: We’ve all heard of Superman, Spider-Man, and Batman. But what about Insuman?
Insuman is a character in a comic book designed to help health care professionals educate and creatively connect with kids who have diabetes. “The point of the comic is to demonstrate that as a person with diabetes, you’re going encounter a lot of challenges,” says Trevor Torres, one of the comic book’s co-creators and a patient with Type 1 diabetes. “But if you can approach it with a good attitude … that can really go a long way.”
After the video, download a free copy of the comic book and learn how to make your own health comic here.
- Why do you think a comic book might be a valuable way to connect with patients?
- Are there any potential downsides to educating patients about serious topics with something like a comic book?
- Why is it important to communicate with patients in unique and creative ways?
- Have you ever seen a comic book about a disease or medical condition? What was your reaction?
- Read Trevor’s comic book, available at http://www.healthdesignby.us/diabetes-superhero-comic-book/. Do you think it achieves Trevor’s objectives?