Don Goldmann, MD, Chief Medical and Scientific Officer, Institute for Healthcare Improvement
Learning Objectives: At the end of this activity, you will be able to:
- Identify at least two ways to improve a mentor-mentee relationship.
- Discuss the importance of becoming a mentor early in your career.
Description: No matter where you are in your career, we can all use a mentor. But how do you find the right one? And when you have the right one, how do you make sure the relationship is as valuable as possible?
In a new IHI Open School animated video, Don Goldmann, MD, IHI’s Chief Medical and Scientific Officer, spends five minutes sharing several lessons from his three decades as a mentor to students and fellows.
- What one strategy from the video most resonates with you?
- Why do you think Dr. Goldmann stressed the importance of writing down a mentor’s advice?
- Dr. Goldmann, says “Find a mentor who really is right for you.” What qualities and qualifications would your ideal mentor possess?
- Do you have a mentor? What makes the relationship valuable for you?
- Have you ever mentored anyone? What did you learn from the experience?