Kedar Mate, MD; Senior Vice President, Institute for Healthcare Improvement
Have trouble viewing this video? Read the transcript.
Learning Objectives: At the end of this activity, you will be able to:
Description: Where does innovation come from? Is it magic?
At the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, innovation is a process. In this video, Dr. Kedar Mate explains how IHI’s approach to innovation has evolved. Then he explains the process: starting with harvesting knowledge, developing a theory of change, and testing the new ideas with health systems in the field.
- What do you think are the advantages of an “open innovation” approach?
- Can you think of an example of an innovation that came from an unexpected person, place, or industry?
- Why do you think it’s important to identify a theory of change behind a successful approach?
- Can you think of an example of a theory of change behind an innovation that you use every day?
- How might you use open innovation in a health care setting? Do you think it could work in a delivery system, rather than an expert organization like IHI?