The Open School online courses offer more than 35 continuing education credits for nurses, physicians, and pharmacists; Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Part 2 for select medical specialty Boards; and a Basic Certificate in Quality and Safety.
To track your progress toward these goals or to claim certificates and credits, visit the “Certificates” tab when you’re in the courses or go to IHI’s central Certificate Center.
Basic Certificate in Quality & Safety
Earning the Basic Certificate in Quality and Safety boosts your knowledge and skills — and proves to employers you’re serious about changing health care for the better. To receive the Certificate, you must complete the following 13 Open School courses: QI 101–Q105, PS 101–105, TA 101, PFC 101, and L 101. When you enter the courses, the required modules are indicated with an *asterisk.
IHI offers continuing education credits for completing Open School courses online.
- More than 35 continuing education credits are available for nurses, physicians, and pharmacists. Credits for physicians are AMA PRA Category 1 credits.
- Courses are approved by the National Association for Healthcare Quality (NAHQ) to provide CPHQ CE credit.
- A selection of courses are also approved for Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Part 2 activity points (see below).
ABMS Maintenance of Certification
By completing select Open School courses (see below), diplomates of several of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) Member Boards may now earn Maintenance of Certification (MOC) activity points in the following categories: Lifelong Learning (MOC Part 2 CME), Self-Assessment (MOC Part 2 SA), and Patient Safety.
Note that select Boards require completion of the full activity — i.e., the grouping of six or seven courses listed below — while other Boards provide credit for individual courses. For Boards not listed below, courses may count toward the ABMS general CME requirement (only). For your specific requirements, please refer to your Member Board or the ABMS MOC Directory
. Eligible diplomates may also receive a 10% discount for an individual subscription, available with a coupon code at the ABMS listing page.
- To claim credits at an individual course level, select “US Physician CME,” and submit the downloadable certificate to the Member Board.
- To claim credits at an activity level, select “MOC Part 2 CME” or “MOC Part 2 Self-Assessment,” and submit the downloadable certificate to the Member Board.