The IHI Open School’s updated Patient Safety Curriculum is packed with new multimedia and the latest thinking in the field, in a mobile-friendly format.
In addition to essential learning about foundational concepts like human factors science, risk mitigation, and teamwork, the revised curriculum now includes:
50+ new videos from leading experts. Don Berwick, Bob Wachter, Lucian Leape, Tejal Gandhi, Patricia McGaffigan, and other industry leaders share their wisdom.
40+ downloadable tools and resources. Worksheets, checklists, and instructional guides help learners apply their knowledge.
200-level modules. New upper-level courses provide recommendations for current and aspiring health care leaders to drive toward total systems safety.
Look for these revised courses in the
IHI Open School online course catalog beginning June 10, 2019.
IHI Open School Patient Safety Curriculum
10 credit hours for physicians, nurses, and pharmacists
PS 101: Introduction to Patient Safety|
Sample this course for free!
- Lesson 1: Understanding Adverse Events and Patient Safety
- Lesson 2: Your Role in a Culture of Safety
- Lesson 3: Your Role in Building Safer, More Reliable Systems
|PS 102: From Error to Harm|
- Lesson 1: The Swiss Cheese Model
- Lesson 2: Understanding Unsafe Acts
- Lesson 3: A Closer Look at Harm
|PS 103: Human Factors and Safety|
- Lesson 1: Understanding the Science of Human Factors
- Lesson 2: Design Principles to Reduce Human Error
- Lesson 3: The Risks and Rewards of Technology
|PS 104: Teamwork and Communication|
- Lesson 1: Fundamentals of Teamwork and Communication
- Lesson 2: Tools and Techniques for Effective Communication
- Lesson 3: Safety During Transitions Across the Continuum of Care
|PS 105: Responding to Adverse Events|
- Lesson 1: Responding to an Adverse Event: A Step-by-Step Approach
- Lesson 2: Communication, Apology, and Resolution
- Lesson 3: The Impact of Adverse Events on Caregivers: The Second Victim
|PS 201: Root Cause Analyses and Actions|
- Lesson 1: Preparing for Root Cause Analyses and Actions
- Lesson 2: Conducting Root Cause Analyses
- Lesson 3: Actions to Build Safer Systems
PS 202: Achieving Total Systems Safety
- Lesson 1: Eight Recommendations for Total Systems Safety
- Lesson 2: Supporting the Health Care Workforce
- Lesson 3: Partnering with Patients and Families
|PS 203: Pursuing Professional Accountability and a Just Culture|
- Lesson 1: A Just Culture Case Study
- Lesson 2: Building a Culture of Safety
- Lesson 3: Understanding and Improving Organizational Culture
Sample the first course for FREE today!