Topics and Sessions
See how your peers surpassed challenges using improvement methods.
175+ sessions to attend, organized through 10 topics that are vital to the improvement of care.
Building Improvement Capability
Embedding a culture of continuous improvement throughout a system. Last year, sessions on this topic included:
See all sessions from 2018.
- Integrating Continuous Improvement into EHR Design
- Create a Culture of Daily Continuous Improvement
- Achieve the Quadruple Aim Through a Holistic Quality Management System
- What Differentiates Leading Organizations?
Improving access and outcomes with communities that have been systematically marginalized. Last year, sessions on this topic included:
- Addressing Social Determinants of Health
- Dismantling Institutional Racism in Health Care
- Exploring Disparities in Readmissions
- Using QI to Advance Social Justice
Applying concepts and tools of improvement science to drive meaningful change. Last year, sessions on this topic included:
- How to Evaluate the Return on Investment from QI
- Back to Basics: Essential QI Skills
- Finding, Testing, and Scaling Promising Innovations
- Get Creative: QI Meets Design Thinking
Encouraging new ideas, behaviors, and actions for the challenges of today. Last year, sessions on this topic included:
- Behaviors That Drive Multi-Stakeholder Improvement Efforts
- 5 Essential Activities for Leadership Teams
- Designing High-Impact Value Improvement Projects
- High-Impact Leadership: Developing Core Leaders
Reducing harm and preventing mortality across the continuum of care. Last year, sessions on this topic included:
- Improving Safety in a Volatile System
- Managing Behavioral Issues in Medical Settings
- Advancing Safe Care in the Home
- RCA2: See One, Try One, Take One Home
Moving from Volume to Value
Conducting business with the mission to create sustainable healthcare value for patients. Last year, sessions on this topic included:
- What Health Care Leaders Can Learn from Amazon
- Flow - Avoiding Hospital Admissions and Managing Beds
- Building a Culture of Data-Driven Cost and Quality
- Engaging Physicians Using Value Measurement Tools
Joy in Work
Encouraging a physically and psychologically safe workplace, and appreciating the purpose behind our work. Last year, sessions on this topic included:
- Co-Design an Environment in Which Staff Can Thrive
- Assess Burnout, Take Action, Create Joy in Work
- Finding and Creating Joy in Work
- The Risks and Magic of Small Actions
Putting people, patients, and care partners at the heart of every decision to improve care. Last year, sessions on this topic included:
- Intelligent Kindness: The Foundation of Quality Care
- Can a Conversation Change an Outcome of Save a Life?
- Is Your Organization Conversation Ready?
- Social Determinants of Health in Primary Care
Improving outcomes for populations with diverse needs through partnerships between health systems and communities. Last year, sessions on this topic included:
- Pathways to Population Health for Health Care
- Practical Tools to Address Social Determinants of Health
- Age-Friendly Healthy Systems - Improving Care for Older Adults
- High Risk, High Reward: How Team-Based Care Helps the Most Complex Patients
Care and Health for Older Adults
Meeting the needs of a growing population of older adults. This is a new topic track for this year’s edition of the IHI National Forum on Quality Improvement in Healthcare.