The Scientific Symposium is an all-day event that takes place in conjunction with the IHI National Forum on Monday, December 11, 2017, in Orlando, Florida, USA.
Every year, the Scientific Symposium attracts the best work in the science of health and health care improvement. We aim to foster dialog and shared learning among participants. The day features keynote speakers, rapid-fire presentations of peer-reviewed papers, interactive methods sessions, and networking.
The 2017 Scientific Symposium will take place at the Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center located at 6000 W Osceola Pkwy, Kissimmee, FL 34746.
At this event, attendees will:
- Interact with colleagues and share what has been learned from applying scientific methods to health and health care improvement
- Discuss challenges in applying and disseminating scientific approaches to health and health care improvement
- Create a common understanding of how to apply scientific methods to improve health and health care
|7:30 - 8:00 am
|8:00 – 8:30 am
||Welcome and Overview|
|8:30 - 9:30 am
|9:30 - 9:40 am
||Break and Transition to Rooms|
|9:40 - 11:00 pm
Parallel Abstract Presentations Session A
|11:00 - 12:00 pm
Posters and Poster Tour
|12:00 - 1:00 pm
|1:00 - 2:15 pm
|2:15 - 3:35 pm
||Parallel Abstract Presentations Session B|
|3:35 - 3:45 pm
||Close and Abstract Awards|
Who Should Attend
Individuals interested in applying scientific methods to improvement in health care are encouraged to attend, such as:
- Improvement, Implementation, or Health Care Delivery Scientists
- Health and Health Care Professionals
- Social Scientists
- Clinical and Health Services Researchers
- Systems Engineers
- Improvement Advisors
- Students and scholars seeking to forge a career in quality improvement
- Other professionals concerned with the rigor and credibility of their improvement work
- Regular fee: $400
- Oral presenters: $320
What’s the difference between the Scientific Symposium and the National Forum?
The Scientific Symposium is an annual event held during IHI's National Forum. Many of our National Forum attendees also choose to attend the Scientific Symposium, and vice versa. The Symposium differs in that we focus specifically on the science of health and health care improvement by highlighting research and methods.
Do I need to register for the National Forum to attend the Scientific Symposium?
You are not required to register for the National Forum to attend the Symposium. Attendees may register for the Symposium and the National Forum through the same portal, accessible on the upper-right hand side of this page. If you would like only to attend the Scientific Symposium, $375, is all you are expected to pay. Should you decide to amend your registration after already enrolling for a National Forum-related offering, follow these steps:
1. Go to www.ihi.org and log in at the top of the screen
2. Click on "My IHI"
3. Click on "My Enrollments and Certificates"
4. Click on "Manage Order" under 29th Annual National Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care
5. Click the blue "View and Edit Order" box
6. On the next screen, under the "Selected Items" box, click on the blue "Edit" button
7. On the next screen, you can select sessions from a list or input them manually
8. Click "Next Step" once finished selecting sessions, and then "Checkout"
9. Be sure to hit "Commit Changes" before exiting the browser to ensure that your changes are saved.
What’s the difference between an IHI storyboard and a poster?
The IHI Annual National Forum uses "storyboards" to share participants' experiences and learning with other National Forum attendees. These storyboards are not used at the Scientific Symposium. The main distinction is that the posters at the Scientific Symposium focus specifically on improvement research and require an abstract submission that follows the following format: Background, objectives, methods, results, conclusions and implications. After submitting an abstract, some are selected for oral presentation and some for poster presentation. You may submit an abstract both for a poster at the Scientific Symposium and for a storyboard at the National Forum. Poster specifications for the Symposium will be distributed to those selected for poster presentations.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Linson Naval at 617-301-4925 between the hours of 10:00 AM and 5:00 PM ET. It would be our pleasure to assist you and answer any questions you may have.