Thursday, March 14, Noon – 1:00 PM ET
Improving Diagnosis: A Foundation for Safe Care
Use the hashtag #PSAW19 to take part.
IHI (@TheIHI) is teaming up with the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine (@ImproveDx) for a chat about tactics, tools, and methods for improving diagnosis in ambulatory settings.
The National Academy of Medicine (NAM) defines diagnostic error as the failure to (a) establish an accurate and timely explanation of the patient’s health problem(s) or (b) communicate that explanation to the patient.
According to a consensus report from NAM, estimates suggest that 5 percent of US adults who seek care in outpatient settings experience a diagnostic error.
Join experts from IHI and SIDM and your peers in sharing insights and updates about improving diagnosis.
We'll be asking the following questions during the chat:
- In your experience, what factors do you see as the key causes of misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis?
- Research shows every 9 minutes someone dies due to a wrong or delayed diagnosis. What steps have you taken to drive accurate, timely diagnoses?
- How can we make diagnostic quality a priority in health care?
- What can patients do to help ensure they receive accurate, timely diagnoses that they understand?
- What role can technology play in improving diagnosis?