About the Network
The IHI Better Maternal Outcomes Rapid Improvement Network is a free initiative aimed at connecting hospitals and providers in the United States who pledge to improve health outcomes by delivering safe, equitable, respectful care in the care to all.
Participating organizations from across the US will learn how to spread best practices and protocols through a variety of shared learning formats and practical, how-to guidance. The goal of the network is to equip participants with the knowledge and skills to needed to reliably implement promising practices and improve care delivery for all women and newborns.
What Participants Can Expect
- Education and programming focused on critical safety issues including severe hypertension and preeclampsia, venous thromboembolism, obstetric hemorrhage, safe reduction of C-sections, and a host of emerging topics
- Quality improvement tools and training to help participants reach their goals and bridge the gap between “what we know” and “what we do”, including a learning system platform to connect providers, organizations, and communities doing similar work
- Real-world examples and learning from numerous hospitals and health care delivery organizations
- Best practices and emerging ideas around equity, dignity and respectful care incorporated throughout
Register for Wave 3: Rural Hospitals (begins April 2020)
Wave 3 is designed for rural hospital and health systems that are committed to impoving maternal outcomes and delivering safe, equitable, and respectful care in their maternity services. Learn more by downloading our one-pager.
Participating organizations will enroll in six-month waves based on their organization type. All waves will include:
- Webinars on critical maternal safety topics and related issues, offered bimonthly to keep pace and provide an interactive learning experience
- Drop-in virtual Coaching Sessions with expert faculty from the field as well as safety, data, and improvement-focused experts
- Connections to other providers, organizations, and communities navigating similar work
- Real-world examples and case studies from a diverse set of providers, hospitals, and delivery centers
- Roadmaps and tools customized to support bundle implementation and build local improvement skills to bridge the gap between “what we know” and “what we do”
- Access to selected IHI online quality improvement tools
Wave One (May – October 2019): High-volume hospitals and systems in the US with approximately 1,000+ deliveries per year
Wave Two (October 2019 – February 2020): Community and Safety-Net Hospitals
Wave Three: (April -- July 2020) Rural Hospitals and Providers.
Learn more and
- Additional waves to be announced
This initiative is generously supported by a grant from Merck for Mothers.