About the Network
The IHI Better Maternal Outcomes Rapid Improvement Network is a free initiative aimed at connecting hospitals and providers in the United States who pledge to improve health outcomes by delivering safe, equitable, respectful care for all.
Participating organizations from across the US will learn how to spread best practices and protocols through a variety of shared learning formats and practical, how-to guidance. The goal of the network is to equip participants with the knowledge and skills needed to reliably implement promising practices and improve care delivery for all women and newborns.
What Participants Can Expect
- Education and programming focused on critical safety issues including severe hypertension and preeclampsia, venous thromboembolism, obstetric hemorrhage, safe reduction of C-sections, and a host of emerging topics
- Quality improvement tools and training to help participants reach their goals and bridge the gap between “what we know” and “what we do”
- Real-world examples and learning from numerous hospitals and health care delivery organizations
- Best practices and emerging ideas around equity, dignity and respectful care incorporated throughout
- Access to a global network of participants through our IHI Global Community page
- Participating organizations will enroll in six-week improvement sprint focused on a specific clinical topic. All sprints will include:
- 6 live webinars and access to webinar recordings on quality improvement topics providing practical, how-to advice for implementing national safety bundles and other promising practices
- Drop-in virtual Coaching Sessions with expert faculty from the field as well as safety, data, and improvement-focused experts
- Connections to other providers, organizations, and communities navigating similar work
- Real-world examples and case studies from a diverse set of providers, hospitals, and delivery centers
- Roadmaps and tools customized to support bundle implementation and build local improvement skills to bridge the gap between “what we know” and “what
- Access to selected IHI online quality improvement tools customized to support bundle implementation and build local improvement skills
September – October 2020: Reducing Harm from Hemorrhage
January – February 2021: Improving Response to Maternal Hypertension
March – May 2021: Safe Reduction of Primary Cesarean Births
July - August 2021: Reducing Harm through Huddles, Checklists, and Debriefs
This initiative is generously supported by a grant from Merck for Mothers.