Expert Analysis and Recommendations for Improving System-wide Performance
Onsite Diagnostics allow IHI to bring our expertise directly to your organization, focusing on high-value opportunities for improvement, and offering pragmatic, actionable recommendations. Our Diagnostics teams have the know-how to accelerate system-wide improvement in health care organizations, health systems, payer organizations, governments, and regional coalitions.
Onsite Diagnostics in Five Key Areas
IHI offers Onsite Diagnostics in five key areas. Each engagement is tailored to the needs and priorities of your system.
What Is an IHI Onsite Diagnostic?
When IHI engages in an Onsite Diagnostic we use our knowledge, experience, and expertise to provide an informed view of where an organization is in its improvement journey and a clear roadmap to achieve higher levels of performance and transformation.
For each engagement, IHI assembles a team of experienced experts. The team visits your organization, assesses the current state of performance, and then works with leaders to articulate actionable recommendations for achieving system-wide improvement in line with your goals and objectives.
Onsite diagnostics can help when you are experiencing challenges in a specific area, or are broadly committed to embedding and ensuring a system-wide culture of continuous improvement.
Onsite Diagnostic Objectives
Diagnostics will help your organization or system:
- Understand where you are in your improvement journey and how to get where you want to be
- Leverage existing strengths to plan and execute system-wide improvements
- Learn from other leaders who have achieved transformation at their organizations
- Identify key challenges, articulate specific aims to address those challenges, and focus improvement efforts
- Determine actionable next steps to reach your goals
- Clarify the role of leadership in improving system-wide performance
- Build will at all levels to transform the system together
Onsite Diagnostic Process
Below is a general overview of the sequence of steps during the diagnostic period:
- Virtual Planning and Goal-Setting Meeting with Leadership Teams
- Collection of Relevant Information prior to the onsite visit
- Pre-Visit Planning Call with Leadership Teams
- On-Site Visit(s) by the IHI Diagnostic team to meet with key stakeholders and conduct field observations
- Findings and Recommendations are presented while onsite and/or in a written report from the IHI
Follow-Up to Diagnostic Process
The findings and recommendations provided by IHI at the conclusion of the diagnostic are intended to be actionable and help senior leaders further shape strategy and plans for executing on the strategy.
The diagnostic is often a starting point for a deeper engagement with IHI to achieve system-wide transformation. Please see Customized Services for an overview of how organizations can further engage with IHI to effect change in their systems.